Prince Edward County
The background is "Tobacco Tan"
to commemorate the importance that tobacco has played in the growth of
Situated on Route 15 just south of Briey river on land which was owned by Joseph Morton prior to 1754, Linden was built in 1800, probably by John Allen. The house differs from most early Prince Edward homes in that its design is more typical of Colonial Georgia and South Carolina with its high ceilings and large rooms. Joseph Morton was elected a Justice at the organziation of Prince Edward County on January 8, 1754; he was later a member of the Magistrates Court. It is believed that Linden was the birthplace of Blanche Kelso Bruce (b. March 1, 1841; d. March 17, 1898), the first African-American to serve in the United States Senate, a Republican from Mississippi, 1874-1881. Born of slave parents, Bruce was given his freedom (at age 24) following the Civil War and soon thereafter moved to Mississippi. Linden has enjoyed a long and distinguished life as a private residence and as a bed and breakfast. It is currently owned by Dr. John David Ramsey, a professor at Hampden-Sydney College.
Edward County Courthouse, 1832-1872
Located in what is now called Worsham, this building was probably the third built for the purpose of housing the Court and County offices. The first was built as soon as possible after the establishment of the County in 1754. The second was built in the 1770's. The depicted Court House, built in 1832, served as the seat of government for the County until it was moved to Farmville. The last session of the 118-year-old County Court to be held in Worsham was on March 19, 1872. The old Courthouse building continued in use as Prince Edward Academy, a preparatory school for boys established in 1874, but was eventually torn down; the bricks were re-used to build the home of tobacconist, E. E. Hundley.
Located near Prospect, Brooklyn was built by General Tarlton Woodson on land given to him in 1776 by his father, Charles Woodson. General Woodson was a militia officer during the Revolutionary War. While he was being held by the British as a prisoner-of-war on Long Island, he met his future wife, Anne van der Veer; he probably named the plantation Brooklyn in honor of her home. General Woodson served in the House of Delegates and was a presidential elector in 1792. He encouraged his son Charles to experiment with farming operations as a boy. Under Charles' guiding hand, Brooklyn became famous for his agricultural puruits, including the culitivation of many varieties of fruit. Brooklyn is currently a bed and breakfast owned and operated by Phil and Lynne Blaker.
Store, Darlington Heights, 1857
With an expanding economy, merchants opened stores in every community. As early as 1807, Carter and Booker were in the mercantile business in Darlington Heights; according to John Wood's 1820 map of Prince Edward County, Love's Store was located there. Records indicate that Richard Booker married Sallie Carter Love. By about 1875, the store shown on the quilt was run by Edward Shorter (b. 1858). In the late 1800's the store was run by Edward Shorter and Henry Terry -- until Mr. Terry moved and opened his own store in Pamplin. Sales receipts dated 1909 showed the store as being operated by Edward Shorter and G. T. Webb. Eventually, Edward Shorter's son, George Edward (Ned) Shorter took over running the store. There was another store run by W. A. Watson. J. Lewis Metcalf, worked for Mr. Watson. While working for Mr. Watson, Lewis met and married Lillian Shorter. In 1929 they took over Shorter's Store where they continued in business until 1965. The property is currently owned by their son, Lewis Shorter Metcalf (b. 1931). There was another, smaller, store next to Shorter's Store run by Tom Metcalf (Lewis' brother) from 1946 until 1995.
Dozens of churches represent a wide variety of denominations and faiths in the County, but Briery Presbyterian Church is one of our oldest churches. the first church was organized in 1755 near the present site. In September, 1759, George Walton applied to the Prince Edward Court for a license for the Briety meeting-house. (George Walton later moved to Georgia and was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.) In 1766, Briery established what was called "a permanent fund for the support of the Gospel." The present site is said to be the third used by the Briety congregation -- previous sites nearby date from 1755 and 1824. The unique American Gothic style building was designed by the Reverend Dr. Robert L. Dabney, Professor of Theology at Union Seminary. Legend has it that Dr. Dabney arranged the doors so that tardy worshipers had to enter in full view of the entire congregation. Briery Church was the first structure in the County to be listed on the Virginia Historic Register.
A victim of fire in 1975, Kinderton was a stately three-story frame home located on the northwest corner of the main intersection in Worsham, formerly known as Prince Edward Court House, original County Seat. Named for the Venable ancestral home in England, Kinderton was built in 1824 by Abraham W. Venable, a graduate of Hampden-Sydney College, a prominent lawyer, a U.S. Congressman and a Confederate Congressman from North Carolina. In 1830 the Venable sold Kinderton and moved to North Carolina. In 1832, the home became the residence of Eleazer Root, Jr., who established a Young Ladies Seminary there; that lasted into the 1850's. Kinderton became the home of Branch Jones Worsham, the third Clerk of Court of the County. He qualified as District Court Clerk in September, 1816, and by 1825, was qualified as Clerk of the County Court. He served in these capacities until the Era of Reconstruction (1872). Kinderton also served as the manse for Hampden-Sydney College Church before becoming a private residence.
Grist mills were an important part of the Prince Edward County economy. John Wood's 1820 map of Prince Edward County shows 32 mills and one that had burned. There were several "Allen's Mills" in various locations around the County. The Allen's Mill depicted on the quilt was built on Falling Creek in the Prospect area in 1900 by A. C. Allen. He ground wheat, corn and barley into flour and meal. His son, A. O. Allen, ran the mill until 1964, as the last water-powered mill operating in Prince Edward County.
|W. P. Gilliam
Tobacco Warehouse, 1880
Farmville was once the fourth largest tobacco market in Virginia. For a century and a half the County's dominant crop was tobacco. W. P. Gilliam was a tobacconist and businessman in Prince Edward County who had a gret deal of success in culitvating, processing, and selling tobacco. He also was a County Clerk and a member of the Farmville Town Council. Mr. Gilliam's substantial brick tobacco factory was one of four new brick warehouses built in Farmville following a disasterous fire which destroyed most of the wooden tobacco structures in town. It has commanding appearance, every desirable convenience, and up-to-date appointments. Mr. Gilliam employed as many as 150 workers, who processed 1,500 hogsheads of tobacco each year for shipment all over the world. This building was torn down in 1979 or 1980. The land is now used as a Town of Farmville parking lot at the corner of 2nd and North Streets.
and Western Train Station, 1903
On of the greatest factors in transforming the social and economic life in Virginia was the development of the railroads. As early as 1836, railroads were on the minds of commercial and agricultural interests in Farmville, but it would take nearly two decades before they were a reality. In the early 1850's, Farmville residents pledged $100,000 to purchase South Side Rail Road stock. One of the main difficulties in completing the rail line through Farmville was the Appomattox River, which required construction of High Bridge. Upon completion of High Bridge, the South Side Rail Road joined the cities of Petersburg and Lynchburg, opening for service on November 2, 1854. A merger of rail lines in 1870 resulted in a name change to Atlantic, Mississippi, and Ohio. An 1881 merger resulted in the Norfolk and Western Railway (N&W). Railway depots sprang up, giving life to small communities like Rice, Tuggle, and Prospect. Railroad passenger stations were a major hub of activity in the community -- especially Farmville -- with all the people arriving and departing for Longwood College, Hampden-Sydney College, Lithia Springs, and the other attractions of the area. In January, 1899, Mr. W. P. Venable circulated a petition among the businessmen in town soliciting interest to ask N&W to build a new, larger passenger station at a location away from Main Street. In 1901, Mayor Blanton, E. L. Erambert, and A. D. Watkins, commissioned by the Town Council, asked N&W for a new passenger station. On August 14, 1902, ground was broken for the new Station and on April 29, 1903, the Station opened for service.
|R. R. Moton
High School, 1939
There have been three schools built for African-Americans in Farmville and named in honor of Dr. Robert Russa Moton. Dr. Moton wa born on August 26, 1867, in Amelia County but was raised and was educated in Prince Edward County. After graduation from Hampton Institute, he became one of the foremost African-American educators, succeeding Booker T. Washington as President of Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. Dr. Moton died in 1940. The first R. R. Moton High School was built in 1926 -- a brick school building with 11 rooms and an auditorium. This building now serves as the Community Center. In 1939, a new building was erected at Main, Barrow, and Ely Streets, near the 1926 school, to accommodate the greatly increased student body. The R. R. Moton High School's importance lies in the series of events that began there on April 23, 1951, when black students walked out of the segregated school to protest shoddy conditions -- a protest which resulted in a dramatic and fundamental change in American society.
Today, this building houses the
Robert Russa Moton Museum, a National Historic Landmark, committed to the
preservation and positive interpretation of the history of civil rights
in education, specifically as it relates to Prince Edward County and the
role its citizens played in America's struggle to move from a segregated
to an integrated society. The Museum's goal is to promote positive
discussion of intergration and to advance the positions that ensure racial
Edward County High School, 2000
The building that houses Prince Edward County High School was built in 1953 as the third R. R. Moton High School for African-Americans. There followed some very turbulent years, during which all public schools in Prince Edward County were closed to avoid integration (1959-1964). In 1964, the Prince Edward County Public School System re-opened. In 1969, the name of the high school was changed to Prince Edward County High School. Beginning in 1995, the building underwent major renovations; it is shown on the quilt with the facade that was completed in the year 2000. In January, 2004, 864 students were enrolled.
Community Hospital, 1926
As early as 1913, there was talk of opening a hospital in Farmville. Serving the needs of a multi-county area, Southside Community Hospital was the first built with support from the Commonwealth Fund of New York, which in the mid-1920's promoted proper healthcare in rural settings. The Lions Club of Farmville was instrumental in getting that support. On November 9, 1927, the 40-bed unit (shown on the quilt) opened its doors. On August 29, 1954, the John Peter Mettauer Wing opened. It included a surgical suite of major and minor operations, a fracture room, recovery rooms, and 23 surgery patient beds. It also raised the hospital's capacity to 87 beds and 18 basinets. On April 14, 1974, the Coronary Care Unit opened. In 1979, the hospital was increased to 116 beds; 1987 brought an added fourth floor providing the latest in surgical services; 1995 brought an enhancement to outpatient and surgical services in a new ambulatory care bulding with convenient access to emergency and radiological care, laboratory services, outpatient diagnostic services, and private physicians' offices.
Farmville - Prince Edward Historical Society
Website created and maintained
Farmville - Prince Edward Historical Society
Edwina Covington, webmaster
last modified September, 2004
hosted by NTelos